POSITION SUMMARY: Head sports coaches serve as teachers within their sport, responsible to ensure their programs have an environment of learning and educational development while providing direction, leadership, and oversight of all coaching duties for their respective sports—including game scheduling within department guidelines; travel planning; practice planning; recruiting; scouting; game preparation; discipleship; student athletes’ experience, academic progress and deportment; oversight of assistant coaches; and other duties as assigned. Full-time head coaches are expected to serve in a significant additional role within the department, which could include teaching up to nine hours per academic year.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- General oversight of the individual sport, including sustaining an environment of learning and educational development, developing his assistant coaching staff, and general management of day-to-day activities
- Maintain a personal discipleship program that provides individual and/or small group discipleship for all members of his program.
- Scheduling of practices, scrimmages and games and the proper communication of those schedules to the parties involved.
- Educational instruction and oversight of athlete development in all phases of the program, including pre-season, in-season and post-season workouts, skill development and strategy
- Preparation and oversight of team budget in cooperation with the Athletics Office.
- Support the athletic director in fundraising efforts for his program.
- Recruitment of qualified student athletes—which may require travel and overnight stays.
- Coordination of travel plans and supervision of student athletes for away events.
- Team preparation from beginning of the season through the last game, including tournaments qualified for in the NCAA/NCCAA.
- Commitment to established NCAA/NCCAA and university rules compliance as well as ethical standards of behavior; keeping current on all policies, especially as they apply to eligibility and finances.
- Represent his/her specific sport at appropriate NCAA/NCCAA Coaches’ meetings and conferences.
- Maintain team roster and annual competition schedule in compliance with NCAA/NCCAA and university guidelines.
- Maintain a fair, unprecedented relationship with his/her athletes and have their physical welfare uppermost in his consideration at all times.
- Maintain membership in appropriate professional associations and actively pursue continuing education in his field
Other Significant Responsibility:
- Summer camp program
- Other duties as assigned by the director of athletics
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Possess knowledge of teaching field
- College coaching and/or playing experience preferred
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills in the classroom and inter-personally with students
- Demonstrate organizational abilities in teaching and classroom management
- Possess and communicate a Biblical worldview and integrate biblical principles into subject matter
- Exemplify a biblical role model for students and colleagues
- Effective in oral and written communication
- Professional in appearance and presentation
- Evidence of ability to encourage, motivate, lead, instruct in righteousness, admonish and correct student-athletes on the basis of God's Word
- Self-motivation and able to function with little supervision
- Committed to personal professional development
- Participate in appropriate professional organizations
- Must be able to drive school cars/vans
- Must have or obtain current American Red Cross Standard First Aid certification or AHA Heart-saver First Aid certification
- Must be able to attend to details and deadlines
- Must be able to keep on task in the midst of surrounding activity and have several tasks ongoing simultaneously
- Must be able to receive detailed information through oral and written communication
- Must be able to demonstrate and teach skills and techniques to collegiate level student-athletes
- Must be able to work outside in sun, heat, wind and inclement weather (for outdoor sports)
- Must have a servant's heart and an understanding of both the privilege and responsibility before the Lord inherent in this position
- This position also requires travel and overnight stays for competitions
Apply For This Position
Refer a Friend
Required Education: Master's degree
Required Experience: Five or more years related experience