Position Summary: Reporting directly to the Chief Financial Officer, the Corporate Controller provides leadership across all operating segments of BJU Education Group by directly managing or influencing the people, processes, and technology of the following functions: Financial Leadership, Internal Accounting Controls, Financial System, Financial Planning and Analysis, General Accounting, Cost Accounting, Treasury Management, Financial Reporting, Audits, Tax
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Financial Leadership – Offers strategies and solutions that contribute to the successful realization of departmental and corporate goals and objectives. Devise and recommend appropriate models, systems and/or procedures to provide complete, accurate, and timely financial statements and other financial reports. Collaborate with key operational and functional leaders across EG to ensure the accuracy, integrity and overall pace at which transactional and other key data becomes available for use and to help them understand the financial position and performance of EG. Streamline workflows; eliminate redundancies or other unnecessary work. Design, establish, and maintain a departmental reporting structure and staffing to effectively accomplish EG's financial goals and objectives.
- Serves on operating, planning and policy-making committees as requested.
- Internal Accounting Controls – Establishes, evaluates, and maintains appropriate internal accounting controls and processes, particularly controls over financial reporting, to ensure compliance with policies and laws and to safeguard assets throughout all lines of business. Supports entity-wide risk management practices.
- Financial System – By coordinating with BJU’s Information Systems personnel, this position develops and maintains financial systems and associated work processes including evaluating, selecting, maintaining, upgrading and customizing financial systems as necessary including accounting & reporting, internally-developed databases and extraction models & queries that are focused on financial information, if any. Trains users and maintains interfaces among financial and core systems.
- Financial Planning & Analysis – Manages preparation of the operating and capital budgets as well as short- and long-term forecasts. Monitors and reports performance against plan; analyzes and reports key performance indicators and benchmark data.
- General Accounting – Manages processing of transactions into general and subsidiary ledgers, maintenance of subsidiary ledgers and systems that support account activity (e.g. fixed assets, payroll, inventory, accounts receivable, et al.), account reconciliation and analysis, investment accounting, and miscellaneous billing and documentation (reports, schedules, etc.). This function requires constant coordination with Accounting Office staff at BJU, Inc. who handle most transaction level accounting activities under a shared services agreement with EG.
- Cost Accounting – Manages cost center and line-of-business allocations as needed. Provides financial consulting and strategic support to senior management including financial presentations, capital expenditure analysis, financial feasibility analysis, product line cost and profitability analysis, industry/peer group comparisons, and other projects requested by management.
- Treasury Management – By coordinating with BJU’s Treasury Office staff directs all Treasury functions including banking systems, cash management programs, cash receipts and disbursements accounting, ACH/Wire transfers, credit card processing, treasury-related regulatory compliance activity, and investment accounting and reporting. Maintains adequate liquidity, through cash forecasting, to meet EG’s demands. Maintains relationships with banks and investment advisors and monitors financing transactions.
- Financial Reporting –Manages internal financial reporting related to management needs as required. Manages external financial reporting related to generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Audits – Manages external financial audits and periodic special accounting or attest engagements.
- Tax – Manages tax functions (accounting, analysis, reporting, and compliance) at all government levels and regardless of tax-type (income, property, sales, occupational, et al.) where applicable.
- Maintains professional affiliations and enhance professional growth.
- Provides motivation and constructive counseling to staff and completes annual performance evaluations on a timely basis.
- Recognizes and observes all company and departmental policies and procedures
- Focuses on achieving departmental and organizational objectives.
- Maintains professional appearance by complying with dress code in an appropriate manner.
- Performs additional duties and responsibilities as assigned by supervisor
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated Performance in:
- Biblical values and spiritual sensitivity
- High competency in technical and professional accounting skills
- Ability to supervise both professional and non-professional staff
- Initiative and self-direction to meet strict deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Computer literacy, including spreadsheet development and usage (Microsoft Excel)
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Attention to details
- Problem identification and resolution
- Ability to use personal computers
- Ability to use copiers and other traditional office equipment
- Ability to use and interact effectively using a telephone
OPERATING SEGMENTS OF BJU EDUCATION GROUP (As of May 31, 2022)
- BJU Press and Printing Division
- Administration, Middle School, and High School of Bob Jones Academy
- Property Management and Housing including Campus View Apartments and back-campus houses
- Asset Management including Aircraft and Art
- Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint
- ERP systems, especially Microsoft Dynamics 365
CERTIFICATES & LICENSES:
- Professional accounting licensure preferred such as CPA, CMA, or similar international certification
Apply For This Position
Refer a Friend
Required Education: Bachelor's Degree
Required Experience: Three to four years related experience